Subscriptions and accessibility
1. How do I get access to the tablet edition?
The tablet edition is available free for a 14-day trial period to all users. You can access it at http://www.building.co.uk/Tablet/App.aspx or simply visit http://www.building.co.uk from your iPad and you will be asked if you would like to access the tablet edition.
After the trial period your options are as follows:
- If you are a ‘digital’ or ‘online only’ subscriber the app is included in your package.
- For current ‘print and online’ subscribers you will need to upgrade your package to our ‘premium’ subscription package.
- Non-subscribers will need to subscribe to one of those options to gain access to the tablet edition.
Details of all our package prices and subscription options can be found here
All subscribers must also have an online account set up through registering on building.co.uk. To register visit here, or you may also register through the tablet edition; press the ‘Sign In’ link in the top right and press the ‘Register’ button at the base of the page.
2. I already subscribe to Building do I get free access?
If you are a ‘digital’ or ‘online only’ subscriber the app is included in your package.
For ‘print and online’ subscribers you will need to upgrade your package to our ‘premium’ subscription package. Non-subscribers will need to subscribe to one of those options to gain access to the Tablet edition. Details of all our packages and subscription options can be found here
All subscribers must also have an online account set up through registering on building.co.uk. To register visit here
3. What if I don’t want to subscribe - can I still read the tablet edition?
No, after the trial period has ended you must subscribe to access this edition. For subscription options click here
4. I have paid for an ‘online only’ subscription, can I use my log-in details to access the tablet edition?
Yes, if you have an ‘online only’ or ‘digital’ subscription, the log in details you use to access the subscriber content on building.co.uk allows you full access to the tablet edition. If you have previously accessed http://www.building.co.uk from your iPad and are logged in to your account, you will be automatically signed in to the tablet edition. If you haven’t used the tablet before, then open the tablet edition and press the ‘Sign In’ link in the top right of the screen, entering your details when requested. Once you have signed in the tablet edition will restart and synchronise your content, this may take a few minutes the first time you do this.
5. What’s the difference between a ‘digital’ and ‘online only’ subscription?
Since the introduction of the tablet product we are renaming our ‘online only’ subscription to ‘digital’ subscriptions, which now incorporates access to the tablet edition.
6. How do I activate my subscription to get access to the tablet edition?
If you have an active ‘digital’/’online only’ or ‘premium’ subscription you have access to the tablet edition. Once you have downloaded the tablet edition you will be prompted to either register or log in to your online account, followed by activation of your subscription on the building.co.uk website. For access problems please contact our customer service team on +44(0)1858 438890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Do subscribers still need to register?
Yes. We need every user to register for the website whether or not they already subscribe. This will provide you with log in details which you can use to access your account thereafter.
8. I have a print subscription but I want access to the tablet edition, how can I upgrade?
‘Print and online’ subscribers will need to upgrade to the ‘premium’ subscription package to gain access to the tablet edition you - to do so please call +44(0)1858 438890. You will be able to keep your existing subscription and pay the extra to cover the new package so that your renewal date is not affected or cancel your existing subscription and move to a new subscription of the new package.
9. Can I buy a one-off issue to the tablet edition or a subscription to the tablet edition only?
No, details of all our package prices and subscription options can be found here
10. How can I cancel the service once I have downloaded it? Can I do this immediately or halfway through my subscription?
The tablet edition is part of a subscription, which can be cancelled at any time. To amend or cancel your subscription please call our customer service team on +44(0)1858 438890 or email email@example.com and then simply delete the icon from your tablet.
11. How can I get my money back if I am not happy?
If you cancel your subscription, you can get the money back on request for any remaining term left of your subscription at time of cancellation. To cancel your subscription please call our customer service team on 08443 221 218.
12. I have lost my iPad and paid for my subscription, what do I do?
For ‘premium’ subscribers, if you no longer require access to the tablet edition, you can move to our lower tier ‘print and online’ subscription package by calling +44(0)1858 438890.
13. Is there any free content within the apps?
The content is only available to paying subscribers.
14. How do I change the email address that’s associated with my subscription?
For amending any details associated with a paid subscription please call our customer service team on 08443 221 218 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For amendments to your free online account, simply log in to your account at the website.
15. Do you offer free trial subscriptions?
A 14-day trial is available to all users on download of the app.
16. I am interested in a corporate subscription including the tablet, who should I contact?
For all corporate subscription enquiries please contact on email@example.com
17. Is the tablet edition only available on the iPad?
Currently the tablet edition is only available via iPad. However a full android version is in development and will be available shortly.
18. Is the app available in the iTunes App Store?
The app is not available on the iTunes store and can only be accessed through our website at http://www.building.co.uk/Tablet/App.aspx. Once downloaded an icon will appear on your device like a usual app.
19. Is the tablet edition available worldwide?
20. What do I get when I download the tablet edition?
The tablet edition provides the magazine content plus breaking news stories and other carefully selected articles by the magazine editors.
21. What is the difference between the website and magazine tablet edition content?
The website is designed to be interactive and offers a searchable archive plus extra content prepared specially for our website, including video, events, data, analysis and comment. The tablet edition is the magazine content, plus selected news stories and the best data information and reports from the year. The tablet edition has been optimised for your extended reading times, incorporating the portability of the magazine with the benefit of live news.
22. What is the difference between the tablet edition and digital edition content?
The digital edition is the exact layout and content of the magazine issue, available to read on our website. The tablet edition offers the content of the magazine with extra content such as daily news, related stories and the best data information and reports from the year.
23. I’m not seeing the very latest news as I do on the website, why?
You can set the frequency that the app checks for new stories. If you click on the icon in the top right hand corner of the app and select app setting then set the option to ‘Always’ this will force the app to check each time you launch the app. Selecting ‘once an hour/day’ will mean your app loads quicker on subsequence launches if you have launched within the respective time period.
24. The tablet edition takes a very long time to synchronise, why?
Depending on your connection speed, the download time will vary for the initial synchronisation. Once synchronised it should be quicker the next time.
25. Things aren’t displaying right, synchronisation is not working. How do I fix it?
Tap on the clear cache button on the settings menu within the app which resets the app. This will also delete any stories you have saved in your briefcase.
26. Stories I saved in My Briefcase have gone, why?
The cache will have been cleared on your device meaning whatever was stored on the app has been deleted.
27. How do I share content?
To share a story, tap on the ‘share’ icon and select ‘Facebook’, ‘Twitter’ or ‘Email’ to send your shared story.
For more information on how to use the app visit the ‘How to use this app’ page on the tablet, from the top right hand corner settings menu.
28. My question was not answered here. How do I get more information?
If you require more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
29. How do I send you my feedback?
We would appreciate your feedback, please send it to email@example.com