The Engineering Council UK published new sustainability guidelines for engineers.
The regulatory body for the UK engineering profession claims that “Guidance on Sustainability for the Engineering Profession” provides coherent direction for engineers and is a public declaration of the profession’s commitment to sustainability.
The guidelines call on engineers to:
- Contribute to building a sustainable society, present and future
- Apply professional and responsible judgement and take a leadership role
- Do more than just comply with legislation and codes
- Use resources efficiently and effectively
- Seek multiple views to solve sustainability challenges
- Manage risk to minimise adverse impact to people or the environment
The guidelines replace the body’s previous code of practice “Engineers and the Environment” published in 1993.
To read the full document click here.
Building Sustainable Design