Seven rail station designs to be reviewed by special panel of top architects and engineers
Cabe, the design quango, has released details of its design review panel for Crossrail stations.
The panel, headed by former Cabe design review panel chair Les Sparks, is to start work in early 2009 reviewing nine station designs. Sparks will be supported by vice-chair Ken Shuttleworth of Make Architects.
Cabe's decision to set up a specific panel, first revealed in Building, comes from a desire to use “proven mechanisms in light of best practice”, according to Douglas Oakervee, the chairman of Crossrail.
He said: “Crossrail is at the stage where we are ready for feedback and comment on our designs. We are an open project and will be using proven mechanisms in light of best practice to critically evaluate our scheme.”
Sparks will be joined by architects from AHMM, Grimshaw, and Pringle Richards Sharratt, and engineers from Alan Baxter, Adams Kara Taylor and Martin Stockley Associates.
They will review designs in the new year for Paddington, Bond Street, Tottenham Court Road, Farringdon, Liverpool Street, Whitechapel and Custom House stations.
The full panel is:
- Les Sparks OBE, Cabe fellow (chair)
- Ken Shuttleworth of Make Architects, Cabe commissioner (vice-chair)
- Simon Allford of Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
- Alan Baxter of Alan Baxter Associates
- Peter Braithwaite of CLM, delivery partner to the Olympic Delivery Authority
- Hanif Kara of Adams Kara Taylor
- Esther Kurland of Urban Design London
- Ian Sharratt of Pringle Richards Sharratt Architects
- Neven Sidor of Grimshaw
- Martin Stockley of Martin Stockley Associates
- Tim Stonor of Space Syntax
- Clare Wright of Wright & Wright Architects