The hospitals chosen are:
- The new £57m Central Middlesex Hospital
- The £114m modernisation of Hope Hospital in Salford, Greater Manchester
- A £164m acute centre at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield
- £20m of mental health facilities for Ryhope/Cherry Knowle in Sunderland
- The £44m redevelopment of University Hospital Lewisham.
The Prince will reveal the development timetable for the five pilots. The next six months are mapped out for consultation with local staff and patients and design discussions with individual NHS trusts.
The pilots are a joint initiative between The Prince's Foundation and NHS Estates. The initiative will explore the Prince's interest in therapeutic design and holistic healthcare under the banner Building a Better Patient Environment.
Charles' appointment has prompted fear among architects that he has won a platform that he will use to stymie modern architecture. One called the appointment "inappropriate".