A design team is being sought for the revamp of Stonoway’s Lews Castle.
Authorities in Outer Hebrides are seeking a design team for a near-£1m deal to redevelop Lews Castle.
The Isle of Lewis’ local council, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, has advertised for a design team to work up plans to redevelop Lews Castle in Stornoway, the main town on the island.
The castle was built between 1857-57 as a country house for Sir James Matheson, who bought the island after making a fortune from Chinese opium. It was designed by Glaswegian architect Charles Wilson and is now a listed building. It is currently owned by the local council.
The design team will have to provide architectural and quantity surveying services, as well as structural and civil engineering. In an advert on the European Journal, the scope of the contract is from £750,000 to £950,000.