Police and HSE investigate death of 26 year old killed by carbon monoxide in Barratt home
The family of a 26-year-old woman killed by carbon monoxide poisoning earlier this year in a new Barratt home have launched a petition calling for CO alarms to be compulsory in all new housing.
Elouise Littlewood died in the Bedfont Lakes development in Hounslow, west London, managed by Notting Hill Housing, in February, after it had been handed over by Barratt in late 2007. A man who was in the house remains in a coma.
More than 500 people have signed the petition on the Downing Street website calling for new homes and social housing to be fitted with alarms.
Councillors in Hounslow have said they will be requesting that all developments in the area be fitted with detectors.
Peter Hills, an independent councillor, said: “I would not expect, in this day and age, to hear of a fatality caused by such a fundamental failing, so I’m happy to add my voice to those calling for improvements.
“We request all developers to include CO monitoring devices on a voluntary basis.”
Barratt and Notting Hill are installing detectors across Bedfont Lakes. A spokesperson for Notting Hill said it was discussing how to prevent CO leaks with other social landlords and housebuilders.
A Barratt spokesperson said all its gas central heating systems were installed by independent Corgi-registered installers.
Police have not ruled out manslaughter charges over the death. Hounslow police’s homicide and serious crime division is investigating the role of Barratt, Notting Hill and contractors in the incident. The Health and Safety Executive and Barratt are also conducting inquiries.