Strong list includes emerging practices as well as established names such as Stirling Prize nominees Haworth Tompkins and Glen Howells
Young firms 6a Architects, McChesney Architecture and FLACQ have been selected to work on the £2bn London Olympic Village in east London.
They are joined on the 47-strong list by Stirling Prize nominated designers Haworth Tompkins and Glen Howells as well as established practices Caruso St John, Feilden Clegg Bradley and Penoyre and Prasad.
The 47-strong framework list, unveiled today by Olympic Village developer Lend Lease, also includes architects from the USA, Norway and Australia.
The practices will all work on different aspects of the 4,200-unit project. The architects will compete for commissions to design individual components of the development, ranging from individual buildings and pavilions to much larger projects.
The judging panel, which included Nigel Hugill, Lend Lease Europe chairman and Ricky Burdett, principal design advisor at the Olympic Delivery Authority, chose the panel from 434 submissions.
The firms will work to a masterplan worked up by Fletcher Priest Architects, West 8 and Allford Hall Monaghan and Morris.
A consortium including Lend Lease, First Base and East Thames were selected by London & Continental Railways and the Olympic Delivery Authority in March 2007 as preferred development partner for zones 2-7 of Stratford City – a remit which includes the Athletes Village.
Lend Lease will now draw up a series of shortlists from the framework for between 20 and 30 separate commissions beginning next month. The first commissions are set to be awarded in September 2007, and initial designs released in December 2007. It is expected that there will be 20-30 individual commissions.
The full list of practices is:
- 6a Architects
- Alison Brooks Architects
- Amin Taha Architects
- Architects In Residence
- Block Architecture
- Brendeland & Kristofferson Architects AS (Norway)
- Camenzind Evolution (Switzerland)
- Caruso St John Architects
- C.F. Moller Architects (UK)
- Cottrell and Vermeulen
- Denton Corker Marshall (Australia)
- De Rijke Marsh Morgan
- Eric Parry Architects
- FAT (Fashion Architecture Taste)
- Featherstone Associates
- Feilden Clegg Bradley Architects
- Gianni Botsford Architects
- Gigon/Guyer Architects (Switzerland)
- Glenn Howells Architects Birmingham
- Haworth Tompkins
- Heneghan Peng Architects (Ireland)
- Ian Ritchie Architects
- Klein Dytham
- Levitate Architecture and Design
- Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands
- McChesney Architecture
- Munkenbeck + Marshall Urbanism
- Niall McLaughlin Architects
- Nissen Adams
- NL Architects
- Panter Hudspith Architects
- Patel Taylor
- Penoyre & Prasad
- Peter Barber Architects
- Piercy Conner Architects and Designers
- Plasma Studio
- S333 Architecture and Urbanism
- Sauerbruch Hutton (Germany)
- SeARCH, Netherlands
- Sergison Bates Architects
- Shop Architects PC (USA)
- Studio Egret West
- UN Studio (Netherlands)
- Walter Menteth Architects