Insulation foam in workers' temporary living quarters caused blaze to spread rapidly after fire lit to make tea

One person has died and 12 were injured in a fire at an athletes' village under construction for the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

According to Indian media, the fire started in the on-site living quarters of building workers, while the workers were making tea. It spread rapidly because of the foam used to insulate the living quarters.

The blaze comes just two weeks after a rugby stadium under construction also caught fire. Both fires took around two hours to extinguish.

The Commonwealth Games are due to take place this October and the authorities are under pressure to complete on time the sporting venues and associated infrastructure work.

Around 100,000 foreign visitors are expected to attend the even on 3-14 October.