The awards were held at a gala dinner at London's Le Meridien Grosvenor House Hotel, attended by a record 1600 guests, including ministers and industry leaders.
The evening also included a casino to raise money for the Prince's Trust, which helps disadvantaged youngsters set up in business.
In a foreword to the awards programme, Prince Charles said: "I could not be more pleased that The Prince's Trust is to benefit from a charitable partnership with Building."
He added: "Working together, I am sure we could do more to address the industry's skills shortage with the provision of work placements for some of those we help, or even jobs for those ready for employment."
The full list of Building Awards winners is:
- Personality of the year (sponsored by Building): Ray O'Rourke
- Major contractor (Trus Joist sprl): Carillion Building
- Contractor (Kingspan Building Products): Galliford Midlands
- Regional contractor (Barbour Index): Russell Construction
- Specialist contractor (eu-supply.coins): Wilson James
- Project/construction manager (Construction Manager): Mace
- Architectural practice (RIBA Journal): John McAslan + Partners
- Young architectural practice (Lafarge): David Morley Architects
- Surveying practice (Hays Montrose): Faithful & Gould
- Multidisciplinary practice (Marshalls): FaberMaunsell
- Client (Schüco International): Manchester City Council
- Major housebuilder (Marley): Barratt Homes
- Housebuilder (Wavin): McCarthy & Stone
- Regional housebuilder (British Gypsum): Hopkins
- Sustainability (Lafarge Cement UK): Peabody Trust
- E-construction (Rockwool): Balfour Beatty
- Best practice (Construction Best Practice Programme): Mace
- Lifetime achievement: Sir Frank Lampl.