Six shortlisted for 2012 footbridge spanning the River Lea in the Olympic Park
Star designer Ron Arad is among the shortlisted firms for a footbridge in the centre of the Olympic Park, the ODA announced today.
The six shortlisted teams are:
- McDowell+Benedetti, Jane Wernick Associates, Craft Pegg and Sutton Vane Associates
- Hparc architects and Adams Kara Taylor engineers
- Ron Arad Associated, Buro Happold and Landscape Architects - BBUK Studio
- Softroom and Eckersley O'Callaghan
- Future Systems and Adams Kara Taylor
- Tonkin Liu, Atelier One, Grant Associates and BDP Sustainability
The footbridge will span 26m over Carpenters Lock on the River Lea Waterway. Two permanent, separate spans, each 6.5m wide will be constructed.
During the games, a temporary bridge, around 41m wide, will be joined on to the two spans to create a single 54m wide structure able to accommodate increased spectator numbers.
After 2012, the structure will feature just the two permanent spans.
The bridge will be located on the central pedestrian concourse in the Olympic Park - a key link between the Olympic Stadium, Aquatics Centre and Basketball Arena.
The shortlisted teams will now develop concept design proposals for the permanent and temporary bridges and the immediate surrounding landscape.