Peter Rogers and Stanhope wow the judging panel in three categories.
The 11th Building Awards on Tuesday night celebrated the diverse achievements and personalities of the construction industry in fine style, with Peter Rogers of Stanhope going home from the Grovesnor House Hotel with a clutch of gongs after winning Personality of the Year, Construction Client of the Year and the Best Practice Award.
Rogers was commended for his refusal to slip into a comfort-zone, and his continual drive to push the industry forward with his forthright opinions. Stanhope was also lauded for its pioneering attitude to practice in such flagship projects as the refurbishment of the Treasury’s headquarters.
Wolseley’s Charlie Banks was named Chief Executive of the year. His low profile belies his huge achievements: doubling the company’s share price, creating turnover of more than £10 billion, and securing a place in the FTSE-100.
All the winners:
- Chief executive: Charlie Banks, Wolseley
- Personality: Peter Rogers, Stanhope
- Major contractor: Costain
- Major housebuilder: Barratt
- Young achiever: Gavin Jones, Buro Happold
- Architectural Practice: BPTW Partnership
- Construction consultant: Atkins
- Unsung hero award: Tim Wotton, Midas
- Project/Construction manager: Mace
- Specialist contractor: Clipfine
- Contractor: Thomas Vale
- Entrepreneur: Vector Specialist Projects
- Housebuilder: Linden Holdings
- Construction Client: Stanhope
- Manufacturer: Sarnafil
- PFI/PPP contractor: Skanska
- Integrated supply chain team: DWP Jobcentre Plus
- Sustainability: CountrysideProperties
- Best major new housing development: Urban Splash, Moho
- Best practice: Stanhope