Gas leaked from the ice rink plant room at the O2 complex in North Greenwich

Dozens of staff from London’s O2 complex were in hospital last night following a chemical leak.

The London Fire Brigade said 30 workers at the venue – formerly the Millennium Dome – were being treated for minor injuries after inhaling ammonia.

02 ice hockey arena

It is thought staff were dismantling stage equipment when the gas leaked from the ice rink plant room through an air vent around 8.30pm.

The O2 said the site was immediately evacuated and later declared safe by the Fire Brigade. No members of the public were affected.