A Bedfordshire construction company is demanding £300 000 in compensation after its property was destroyed by fire.

Aldgate Construction Company, based in the Stevenage area, is seeking damages from Unibar Plumbing and Heating following a blaze in March 2005. A High Court writ claims a Unibar employee began the fire while resoldering leaky pipework to a radiator. His blowtorch is believed to have ignited insulation panels or other materials in the roof void.

Aldgate has accused Unibar of breach of contract and negligence, claiming the fire had started because the employee failed to carry out the work with reasonable skill and care.