Initiative aims to tackle problem that 75% of commercial builds are illegally marketed without an EPC

Three-quarters of all commercial properties for sale or rent are failing to comply with energy regulations, according to a new initiative launched by National Energy Services and

The monthly EPC Index monitors how many commercial builds being marketed have a valid energy performance certificate (EPC). The first EPC Index stands at 25, meaning that only 25% of commercial properties were legal and compliant in October, while the other 75% did not have an EPC lodged on the government's official registry.

The index has been introduced to follow up on NES' research in June 2009 (full report here), which showed that more than 80% of commercial property agents were unable to supply a mandatory EPC for the offices or shops they were marketing.

Brian Scannell, managing director of NES, said: “We hope to see the EPC Index rise month on month. There is no reason why the commercial property sector should continue to believe it's okay to ignore the requirement for EPCs while the housing sector takes all the scrutiny and flack on energy efficiency.

“The display of the EPC rating should be mandatory on all commercial building agents' particulars. This is already in place for the sale of homes and it brings real transparency and helps consumers.”

The sample for October included 525 commercial buildings throughout Norfolk, Devon, Cornwall, Northamptonshire and the West Midlands. All properties are identifiable and have been on the market in the past 30 days.

NES will publish the results each month in association with Building and on the NHER news page.