Hawkins Brown, McAslan and Grimshaw shortlisted for UCL East
Architects Stanton Williams, Grimshaw and Hawkins Brown working with MVRDV have been shortlisted by UCL to design the main part of its new Stratford campus.
Fellow Dutch architect Mecanoo is also on the list, along with Scott Brownrigg working with UN Studio.
The architects have joined forces with various engineers and consultants on their bids, including Buro Happold, Ramboll, Mott MacDonald and Ramboll.
They have all been shortlisted for UCL East’s 33,5000sq m academic facility, known as Marshgate, just south of the Orbit at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
The university also announced the shortlist for Pool Street, a 16,500sq m mixed-use facility south of the Aquatics Centre.
The finalists for this project are John McAslan & Partners, Feilden Clegg Bradley, BDP, Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands and Jestico & Whiles.
Pool Street which will contain university residential and academic space.
The campus has been masterplanned by LDA Design which beat off competition from Gehl and Allies & Morrison to land the job last year.
Last month UCL agreed a £280m, 30-year loan with the European Investment Bank to develop its Bloomsbury and UCL East campuses, the largest sum ever lent by the bank to a university. UCL is spending £1.25bn over 10 years on the two projects.
The university said: “The UCL East campus is envisaged as a radical new model of how a university campus can be embedded in the local community and with businesses.
“The site will bring together cross-disciplinary UCL expertise in such areas as creativity and material culture, future global cities and experimental engineering.”
The two sites are part of the so-called Olympicopolis cultural redevelopment of the Olympic Park. This also includes the new V&A East, Sadler’s Wells and London College of Fashion which are due to open new venues on a site known as Stratford Waterfront just north of the Aquatics Centre.
The winning teams will be announced in August. The first phase of UCL East is expected to open during the 2019/2020 academic year.
- Grimshaw Architects, with: Alan Baxter Associates, Mott MacDonald, Land Use Consultants, Social Communications.
- Hawkins Brown Architects, with: MVRDV, Buro Happold, DJAO–RAKITINE, Soundings.
- Mecanoo International, with: ARUP, Commonplace.
- Scott Brownrigg, with: UN STUDIO, Buro Happold, Atelier Ten, Gross Max.
- Stanton Williams, with: ARUP, AKT II, VOGT, Soundings.
- Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios, with: Buro Happold, LDA Design, iDEA, Soundings.
- Jestico & Whiles, with: Buro Happold, Ramboll, Plincke, Quatro.
- John McAslan & Partners, with: Buro Happold.
- Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands, with: Atelier Ten, AKT II, Kim Wilkie Landscape, PFB Construction Services, London Communications Agency.