He says the industry should come together to create a complete supply chain that focuses on customers.
The draft strategic forum report, written by consultant Dwight Demorais, lays out key measure to speed up the Eganisation process.
The take-up of the report has not been rapid enough
Egan, Accelerating Change
The measures include:
- The creation of independent construction advisers, which the report says should come from existing professions and have a new code of practice.
- New government guidance for public sector clients, especially local authorities: the report says local government is still seeking the lowest-price contracts.
- Projects governed by the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations should only be carried out by registered firms. The report calls for the Health and Safety Executive to set up a "gateway" system to check that firms are abiding with health and safety regulations.
- Project-based insurance instead of cover for individual firms. This should cover professional indemnity, works contract insurance and product liability insurance.
- The creation of a supply chain tool-kit for one-off clients to encourage partnering on small-scale construction projects.