Twelve firms in the construction industry made it into a survey by The Sunday Times on the 100 best companies to work for (see table).
The Lindum Group, a construction and housebuilding services firm in Lincoln, fared best, ranking sixth overall. It has 496 staff, most of whom own shares in the firm.
The survey, the sixth, looked at 522 companies and covered eight areas of concern. They were:
- How employees felt about the head of the company and the rest of the senior management;
- The level of work-life balance encouraged at the company;
- How people felt about their immediate boss;
- Staff attitude towards their colleagues;
- How staff felt about pay and benefits offered by the company;
- How much staff felt their company contributed to wider society and the local community;
- How staff felt about the company, as opposed to the people with whom they worked;
- To what extent people felt they were challenged by their jobs.