There is no single solution to the climate change conundrum; we must look at the challenges holistically. Some issues I suggest that could be considered are:
- Reduce lighting and equipment loads to compensate for the additional loads for cooling.
- Use the form of cooling with the lowest energy-use possible.
- Set the cooling temperature high so people feel comfortable, not cold.
- Learn from traditional building forms in warm climates.
- Look at the benefits of super insulation to combat worries about lightweight construction.
Stuart Barlow, technical manager/associate director, Reid Architecture, via email.