In the week of Rishi Sunak’s Budget, Building and the Construction Leadership Council hosted a webinar focusing on how construction can help the country’s economic recovery.
The CLC has written to the chancellor to highlight how the industry contributes 8% of the UK’s GDP, employs over 10% of its workforce and how, for every £1 spent, the sector contributes nearly £3 of value to the whole economy.
It also set out some key areas for investment, such as a national retrofit programme, remediation of unsafe buildings, apprenticeship incentives for employers and extending the stamp duty holiday.
Hear from our panel of experts from across the industry as we discuss how such measures would help construction firms help the country get back on its feet.
- Graham Watts, chief executive, Construction Industry Council
- Brian Berry, chief executive, Federation Of Master Builders
- Hannah Vickers, chief executive, ACE
- Stuart Young, head of stakeholder engagement and management, BEIS construction unit
- Chaired by: Chloe McCulloch, editor, Building
The webinar ran on 1 March 2021 from noon to 1pm