Consultant presents strategy for improving energy efficiency of existing buildings
Multidisciplinary consultant Arup has launched a guide to upgrading existing buildings to improve energy efficiency.
Although the guide is generally available, the firm hopes it will win work implementing the principles in the guide as it believes that businesses will need to improve their buildings to survive in the present economic climate.
Arup's refurbishment strategy is divided into five steps:
- The first is to understand how the building is performing and what level of refurbishment is required.
- Then building owners need to understand how efficiently they are running their buildings.
- The third stage is to set business goals, and from that set targets for building refurbishment.
- The fourth stage is to decide which elements of the building will be upgraded and how.
- The final stage is to implement the previous stage.