The Montreal overpass collapsed on Saturday only an hour after the site had been inspected
Rescue workers in Montreal have found five people crushed to death in their cars after an overpass collapsed onto an expressway near the city.
The overpass collapsed on Saturday afternoon, crushing several vehicles and injuring another six people, three of them seriously.
Government officials said the collapse came an hour after the site had been inspected following reports of falling debris and it had been declared safe.
Officials have announced a public inquiry into the incident.
The Quebec minister for Transport said the flyover, which was built 35 years ago, was appraised every three years and was not considered in need of major renovations. The previous inspection was in May 2005.