UK sent second-largest number of delegates last year
The organiser of next month’s Mipim property show in the south of France have said the event is still scheduled to go ahead amid concerns the coronavirus outbreak is spreading across Europe.
The annual event is held in Cannes, an hour’s drive away from the Italian border where that country has in recent days become Europe’s worst-affected country. More than 300 cases and 11 deaths have been recorded in Italy with the outbreak centred on the northern Lombardy region.
Several European countries, including Austria, Croatia and Switzerland, have now announced their first cases and said they involved people who had been to Italy.
In a statement posted on its website yesterday, the Mipim organiser said: “Reed MIDEM today confirms that Mipim will take place as scheduled in Cannes, March 10-13, 2020.
“The health and safety of everyone attending the event is our number one priority. We are continually monitoring developments and following the latest guidance from local, national and international authorities and the World Health Organization as it relates to travel to Mipim and clients’ on-site experience.”
The event last year was attended by nearly 27,000 visitors with 6,204 delegates going from the UK – the second highest number after France.
Measures being put in place for the event include liaising with airports and hotels to beef up health and safety practices, a bigger onsite medical team and increased hygiene standards with hand disinfectant gel available at the venue.
In France, there is a specific ‘reception service’ for travellers at Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris for flights from China, Hong Kong and Macao.