The leaders in each category are:
- Education: Ranelagh multidenominational school, Dublin, Ireland, by O’Donnell + Tuomey
- Commercial: Sto AG marketing and training uilding, Stuhlingen, Germany, by Michael Wilford & Partners
- Arts and leisure: NatWest Media Centre, Lord’s cricket ground, London, by Future Systems; River and Rowing Museum, Henley-on-Thames, London, by David Chipperfield Architects
- Conservation: Reichstag, Berlin, by Foster and Partners
- Civils and community: North Greenwich JLE station, London, by Alsop Lyall & Störmer with the JLE project team; Stratford JLE station, by Wilkinson Eyre Architects.
Also shortlisted is Benson + Forsyth’s Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh. The judging panel included RIBA president Marco Goldschmied, and fashion designer Stella McCartney.