Miall Roberts was killed in 2004 when an overhead powerline came into contact with a concrete pump
Two companies in Wales were fined a total of £58,000 after the fatal electrocution of a 19-year-old worker.
Miall Roberts died in 2004 at the Bala Industrial Park in North Wales. He was electrocuted when an overhead power line came into contact with a concrete pump he was working on. Another worker, Darren Gittins, received a shock but was not injured.
RL Davies and Son pleaded guilty of failing to ensure Roberts’ safety and was fined £25,000 and ordered to pay costs of £15,814.54
Permanent Flooring pleaded guilty of failing to ensure Roberts’ safety and putting Gittins at risk. It was fined £6,000 and ordered to pay costs of £12,000
HSE Inspector Chris Wilcox said: “In Wales alone, there have been several cases whereby construction workers and others have been severely injured or killed after coming into contact with high voltage electricity, so it is imperative that employers ensure their staff and contractors are protected by carrying out a full risk assessment of the site before work starts.”
Approximately 1,000 electrocutions occur at work every year, of which an average of 30 are fatal.