UPDATE: The CLC has reverted to the government’s ‘where possible’ distancing guidance
The Construction Leadership Council has backtracked on guidnance saying sites must be closed if people cannot achieve proper social distancing.
Yesterday the Construction Leadership Council (CLC) told firms to shut down sites if people are unable to stay more than 2m apart – taking a tougher stance than the official government guidance.
Last week, the Cabinet Office and ministry of housing said the guidance should only be followed “where possible”.
But on Thursday the CLC has released a new site operation procedure notice that has gone further.
It said: “[New guidance includes] clarification that, where it is not possible or safe for workers to distance themselves from each other by 2m, work should not be carried out.”
But a number of people questioned whether this is practical or not and the CLC is now looking at bringing out revised guidance.
Now the original site operation procedure (SOP) notice has been reinstated
It says: “There will be situations where it is not possible or safe for workers to distance themselves from each other by 2m.”
The second SOP, which was in effect for just 24 hours, also said groups of workers should be kept together to minimise transfer of infection across the workforce and that sites need extra supplies of soap, 60%+ alcohol-based hand sanitiser and paper towels.
These changes have also been removed.