Work will begin in March on 30,000 seat stadium after council approve business plan
Work on Cardiff City’s new 30,000-seat football stadium will begin in March after a business plan for the development has been recommended for council approval.
The £38m stadium in Leckwith includes a retail development on a 60-acre site and has faced a number of delays. The viability of the plans had been called into question by the council which was reluctant to give the go ahead on the project until it was it had been assured the development was do-able.
But on Monday the council recommended that the business plan be approved by councillors and the case will be considered throughout December.
Cardiff Council leader. Rodney Berman said: “I see this as a huge step forward, not only for the football club but for the City of Cardiff as well.”
Club chairman Peter Ridsdale said: “Today’s announcement is truly a milestone for Cardiff City Football Club. Many people have been involved in getting to the stage where the talk has now turned into reality.”
If work on the club starts in March next year as planned then the project is expected to be completed by the end of 2008.