Poor boiler maintenance led to near-fatal carbon monoxide poisoning

A landlord has been fined after two tenants were poisoned by carbon monoxide because their boiler had not been properly maintained.

The incident occurred in a block of flats in Hackney, and required all residents and attending paramedics to be treated for the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Soley Fikret was fined £4,000 and ordered to pay £1,500 costs at the Old Bailey after pleading guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Safety inspector Gavin Pugh of the UK Health and Safety Executive said: “Landlords must act responsibly. This case should be a warning to landlords who don't bother to look after their tenants.

“In this instance it was very lucky that no one was killed. Had the carbon monoxide poisoning happened slightly later in the night, this incident could have resulted in a terrible tragedy.”