ODA is expected to announce the designer for the 2012 handball arena by the end of the year
Big-hitter architect Grimshaw as well as smaller practice dRMM are on a seven-strong shortlist to design the handball arena for London’s 2012 Olympic games.
The shortlist for one of the only remaining permanent venues, which is the first time Ken Shuttleworth’s firm Make Architects has made an Olympic shortlist, was announced by the ODA today.
The full shortlist is:
- Bligh Voller Nield; Patel Taylor; Arup; GHD
- David Morley Architects; Max Fordham; Buro Happold; Fabrik
- dRMM; Fulcrum Consulting; Michael Hadi Associates; Vector Foiltec
- Grimshaw; SKM Anthony Hunts; Buro Happold
- make architects; PTW; Arup
- schmidt hammer lassen; Arup; Royal Haskoning UK
- Sports Concepts; Reid Architecture; Faber Maunsell
The ODA said it expected to make a final appointment later this year, while the procurement of a contractor would begin in early 2008. Construction is expected to be complete in 2011.
Alison Nimmo, director of design and regeneration at the ODA, said: “We are looking for a Handball Arena design that enhances the experience of the Games and the Olympic Park as well as providing a sustainable legacy for elite and local sport.”