Gas safety watchdog launches online campaign against the 'slient killer' in student accomodation

Nearly half of students believe the distance from their student house to the local pub is more important than keeping safe from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to a recent survey released by CORGI.

The study forms part of a campaign by the UK’s gas safety watchdog, urging students to be more aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide when moving into new accommodation at the start of term.

Known as the “silent killer”, carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous substance resulting from badly installed or poorly maintained gas appliances. It cannot be seen, smelt, or tasted.

According to CORGI, students are one of the most vulnerable groups in society at risk from poisoning. Moving away from home and living in rented accommodation makes it difficult for many to know what safety precautions to take.

CORGI’s head of safety promotion, Dan Ceasar said: “Each year around 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning.” Most of these incidents could be avoided if CORGI’s safety steps were followed, he added.

Each year around 30 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning

Dan Ceasar

By law, a landlord must ensure that an annual gas safety check is carried out by a CORGI registered installer, and the student tenant should receive a gas safety record.

As part of its initiative, CORGI has introduced a podcast which guides students and parents around a typical student house, walking them through all the potential hazards that the home could contain.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to flu, including headaches, dizziness, tiredness, nausea and chest and stomach pains.

Carbon monoxide is potentially fatal, and even low levels of the poison could leave students with lasting damage to their health.