Thames Valley Police release details of the worker killed by collapse of Didcot power station as search for missing continues
Thames Valley Police has released details of the demolition worker who died following the collapse of Didcot power station as the search continues for three other missing workers at the site.
The man has been formally identified as 53-year-old Michael Collings from the Cleveland area in the north-east of England.
The post-mortem examination concluded the cause of death was multiple injuries. Mr Collings was a direct employee of Coleman & Company, the demolition specialist that is carrying out the work to demolish Didcot A Power Station for client RWE nPower.
In a statement, Mr Collings’ family said: “Mike was a much-loved husband, father, granddad, son, brother and friend. He had a huge enthusiasm for life and will be remembered for his kind and friendly nature. He loved everyone and everyone loved him.
“Thank you to everyone who has sent their condolences and to Coleman & Company and the emergency services for their support. We ask that our privacy is respected at this terrible time.”
Mark Coleman, MD of Coleman and Company, said: “Mick Collings was our colleague and friend, and we are devastated to hear this news today. Above all he was a husband and dad, and our hearts go out to his wife Lynn, his daughters Zoe and Stacey and his extended family. We are deeply sorry for their loss.
“This has been a terrible incident which has shocked everyone at the company, but our over-riding priority remains supporting the families affected. We will continue to keep in close touch with Mick’s family to do what we can to help.”
Rescuers are still searching through the rubble of the Oxfordshire power station for a further three people who are missing since the collapse last week.
Part of the boiler house at Didcot A Power Station collapsed at around 4pm last Tuesday during pre-demolition work. The building was being prepared for explosive demolition at the time.
Five men were taken to hospital with serious but not life-threatening injuries. All five men have now been released from hospital.
More than 47 people were treated at the scene for dust inhalation but have since been discharged. The power station was decommissioned in 2013 and demolition work has since been taking place by contractor Coleman and Company. A Health and Safety Executive investigation has also been launched.