A Wembley National Stadium Limited spokesperson refused to comment on where this left Multiplex and the £326.5m agreed price bid it made last November.
He said the issue would be discussed at WNSL's board meeting on Monday and rejected claims that Multiplex had already left the project.
He said: "They are not off the project. It's up to our board to decide." The spokesman said WNSL would be unlikely to make another comment before the meeting.
He said WNSL's operations were being scaled down "temporarily".
WNSL last week confirmed that the design team had stopped work after the funding issue reached crisis point. The FA said it was unable to underwrite the scheme. This follows the refusal of banks to stump up the £410m needed.