Road building emerged as the biggest loser as the Department of Transport released further details of how spending changes will affect transport projects.
On Tuesday the department said a further 16 road schemes would go ahead, in addition to the eight given the green light by the chancellor last week.
But the department said construction would not start on any of these projects before 2012/13.
Construction on a further 14 road schemes, including the M25 junction 30, will be delayed until after 2015.
Another 56 road, bus and rail works worth up to £1.5bn were left in limbo, and will have to fight to get funding from a £600m pot of money.
“The level of funding required for schemes already under construction is such that it is unlikely that any new schemes will be able to begin construction before 2012/13,” the department said.
The delays follow the cancellation of seven road schemes as part of the spending review last week, including the £1bn A14 upgrade, which had been contracted out to Costain and Skanska.
Capital spending on roads built by the Highways Agency will fall by 44% over the next four years.
Local transport works by councils are also likely to suffer as council budgets will be cut by 26% over the spending review period.