Sixty percent of respondents to CIOB survey said environmental issues demanded the most R&D
Green issues require the most research and development, a new CIOB survey has revealed.
The survey found 60% of respondents on the current state of innovation in the construction industry said that environmental issues were demanding the most R&D.
Michael Brown CIOB deputy chief executive said: “The construction industry is not widely perceived as offering an environment that nurtures creativity. However, this survey has suggested otherwise with a large volume of ideas being expressed, and innovation regarded by the majority as crucial to the sustainable future of the industry.”
Key findings from the survey, which also analysed the impact of current innovations and where they were most likely to come from in terms of sector and geography, include:
- 53% of respondents answered that CO2 issues require the most R&D.
- The internet and IT were seen as the top innovations to hit construction in the last 5 years.
- 85% of respondents felt that R&D is important or very important to their company.
- 39% of respondents said their company invested more than £25,000 per annum on R&D.
- 9.8% said they invested more than £1m per annum.