We reveal the stories behind seven images of Manchseter unearthed in the Building photo library.
The once semi-derelict Albion Wharf on Albion Street has been refurbished and now hosts offices and restaurants. The original Gothic Italianate windows and façade remained but the rear section has been rebuilt.
Clarendon Club Gardens
To the east of Manchester's Town Hall several Victorian buildings, including the Clarendon Club, were demolished in 1971. The area was chosen as conservation area the following year. It was subsequently landscaped and became known as "the peace garden". Shown on the right inside of the picture is one of the city's best-loved landmarks, the Central Library, built in 1934.
Of the three buildings designed by Covell Matthews & Partners and built between 1959 and 1965, only the Piccadilly Hotel and the 24-storey Sunley Tower remain. Bernard House, which featured an unusual roof, was demolished in 2001. Dominating Piccadilly Gardens on the south side, the plaza was remodelled and refurbished by Leslie Jones Architects.
Manchester's £42m international concert venue, the Bridgewater Hall, on Barbirolli Square, opened to the public in September 1996 and can seat up to 2400 visitors. Designed by architect Nicholas Thompson from Renton Howard Wood Levin for Manchester City Council, it was the first free-standing concert hall built in the UK since London's Royal Festival Hall in 1951. Built in solid, reinforced concrete, moulded and cast like some vast sculpture, it took three years to erect. Laing North West was the contactor while Arup Acoustics worked as acousticians. The new building weighs 25,000 tonnes and is built on giant springs to protect it from vibrations caused by the adjoining Metrolink supertram system. The construction of the concert hall was part of a scheme to redevelop the whole area.
Royal Insurance Buildings
On Saturday 15 June 1996, at a peak shopping time on Father's Day, a 3,000lb IRA bomb exploded in Manchester, injuring more than 200 people and ripping into the fabric of the city's main shopping centre. Buildings around the Exchange were severely damaged and the Royal Insurance Buildings had to be demolished.
Victoria Station - Nynex Arena
Victoria Station's present Edwardian building facade was built in 1902 by architect William Dawes. A £35m redevelopment took place in 1992 to upgrade the old station, create a new roof and link the building to the newly constructed Nynex Arena (now the Manchester Evening News Arena) adjacent to it. This grant was part of the Government's commitment in support of Manchester's abortive bid to host the 2000 Olympics in the city. Openened in July 1995, the Manchester Evening News Arena can accommodate 21,000 people which makes it Europe's largest indoor concert venue. As for the tall tower on the side of the station, if anybody recognises it, please contact us.
Great Northern Railway Company's Good Warehouse
Manchester's £100 AMC's megaplex opened in December 2001 after the Victorian railway goods warehouse was completely transformed. The Great Northerm leisure and shopping development retained the original Grade II-listed warehouse frontage. At the front of the restored warehouse building sits Great Northern Square, the city's first new purpose designed public square since WW2. The scheme was carried out by Morrison Merlin working with English Partnerships and Manchester City Council.