EPC index shows an increase, but proves only a minority in the sector comply with energy labelling regulations

More than half of commercial properties for sale or rent in March still do not have a valid energy performance certificate.

The EPC index for April stands at 48, an increase on earlier months but proving that compliance with energy labelling regulations in the commercial property sector is still under 50%.


The monthly index, run by NES and Building.co.uk, monitors how many commercial buildings currently being marketed have a valid EPC. In March 2010, 48% of commercial properties identifiable on the government's central register were legal and compliant, while the remaining 52% did not have an EPC lodged.

The sample for March includes 700 buildings taken from the areas of Bedford, Bath and north-east Somerset and Bournemouth and includes properties that have a floor area in excess of 50m2 and which have been on the market for at least six months.

Brian Scannell, managing director of NES, said: on the face of it this is good news but it is too early to say if it is a long term trend. “The large proportion of buildings that still do not have an EPC is disappointing and it seems that nothing is being done to enforce it and accelerate take-up”.

The EPC index was introduced to follow up on NES' research in June 2009 which showed that more than 80% of commercial property agents were unable to supply a mandatory EPC for the offices or shops they were marketing.

NES publishes the EPC index results each month at http://www.nesltd.co.uk/news